It looks like Chelsea are set to receive record-breaking transfer bid this summer

Bayern Munich will return for Chelsea teenager Callum Hudson-Odoi in the summer, according to CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

The Bundesliga champions were heavily linked with a £35m bid for the winger, which would have made Hudson-Odoi the most expensive English teenager in history.

Will Bayern sign Hudson-Odoi in the summer? Five key things to know…
Bayern Munich had been linked with signing Hudson-Odoi in January, as part of their squad refresh.
Hudson-Odoi was reportedly interested in the move, handing in a transfer request to Chelsea.
The English club denied the request with manager Sarri believing Hudson-Odoi would remain at Hudson-Odoi for years to come.
But Rummenigge has insisted Bayern will return to Hudson-Odoi in the summer, as they have done successfully with other players in the past.
Callum Hudson-Odoi has started six of his 12 appearances across all competitions for Chelsea this season.

Despite Hudson-Odoi handing in a transfer request in order to push a move through, Chelsea dug their heels in and managed to hold onto their highly-rated youngster until at least the summer.

But, Rummenigge has insisted Bayern remain convinced of Hudson-Odoi’s quality and will make another attempt to sign the teenager in the summer.

“I guess Hasan [Salihamidzic] is a bit like Uli [Hoeneß],” he told Goal.

“We also had transfers in the past that didn’t work at the first attempt but at the second. And that’s what we will work on now.

“To lay down a marker costs money. We want the best quality players here at Bayern and Hasan is absolutely convinced of that player.”

With Borussia Dortmund storming clear at the top of the Bundesliga table, Bayern are preparing for the future given their ageing squad. And Hudson-Odoi has been tipped to replace one of the outgoing Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery as part of the squad update.

Sarri: Hudson-Odoi will stay beyond next summer
Despite Rummenigge’s insistence Bayern will return for Hudson-Odoi, if Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri gets his way, the teenager will remain at the club come the start of next season.

“The club told me in this window he will remain with us for sure, and very probably also in the next. I am very happy with this,” Sarri told reporters prior to the end of the transfer window.

“I don’t have the power to sign new contracts here. On the pitch, I am really very happy with him. He is improving. He will be the future of our club, and the future of English future.

“I am not frustrated. As I said before, on the pitch he is doing very well, in training and in matches. I am very happy with him, I’m not very happy with the situation, of course, but I know very well every big team here in England has the same problem.

“It’s not easy to keep these young players. He is, of course, one of the best 18-year-olds in Europe, so it’s very difficult, but the club told me he is out of the market for sure [now], and probably he will be out of the market in July.”

Sarri has given Hudson-Odoi 12 appearances this season, including six starts, though the winger is said to have been unhappy with his lack of playing time compared to the likes of Jadon Sancho who is thriving in the Bundesliga at Dortmund.

Hudson-Odoi started and scored in Chelsea’s 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup less than 24 hours after reportedly handing in his transfer request but was not involved in the Blues’ matchday squad as they were humiliated 4-0 by Bournemouth in midweek.

He did, however, play the final 13 minutes of the Blues’ 5-0 win vs. Huddersfield on Saturday.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*