Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has made his intentions clear that he wants to strengthen his attacking options in the January transfer window.
So far this season the Blues have only scored 38 goals in the Premier League, which is less than the rest of the top six.
Of Chelsea’s forwards only Eden Hazard has really delivered, with the Belgian currently fourth in the top goalscorer’s chart on 10.
Other than that, Pedro (six), Alvaro Morata (five), Willian (two) and Olivier Giroud (one) only have 14 goals between them.
Sarri’s plans for January are understandable, then, although the Italian is focusing on a new winger rather than a new striker as Hazard continues to strive up front.
“No, because I have the option with Hazard in this position,” said Sarri earlier this month when asked about signing a centre forward.
“We have Morata and Hazard [who] can play very well in this position as we have seen in the last two, three matches, so [at] the moment I don’t need another striker. Maybe another winger.”
One Chelsea forward who has seriously underwhelmed this season is Willian, who has only scored two goals and assisted three in 20 Premier League appearances.
The Brazilian’s record, combined with the fact he’s 30 years old, has seen Chelsea fans lose faith in him. They want him to be sold.
But when Barcelona submitted a player-plus-cash offer worth £50m that included 21-year-old Malcom on Thursday, Chelsea said no.
Chelsea reportedly value Willian higher than the proposal Barca put forward and regard him as a key member of the squad.
However, the Daily Mail’s Simon Jones now claims Chelsea have told Barcelona their demands for any deal to move forward.
Chelsea want straight cash for Willian and because he only has 18 months remaining on his contract, they would be tempted by an offer of £50m.
So let’s get this straight – Chelsea rejected a player-plus-cash bid worth £50m for Willian, but they would consider £50m in cash.
Clearly Sarri wants to be in complete control of who he brings in this month and you can’t really blame him based on how Malcom has performed for Barcelona.
The former Bordeaux winger has barely played since moving to Catalonia and even when he has, he’s disappointed.