Nemanja Matic’s display v Bournemouth has led Man Utd fans to reach same conclusion

Eyebrows were raised when Chelsea allowed their midfield powerhouse Nemanja Matic to join Premier League rivals Manchester United in July 2017.

Antonio Conte decided to let the then 28-year-old move to the Red Devils after splashing out £40 million on Tiemoue Bakayoko.

That decision was condemned last season following the respective performances of the two midfielders.

Matic made a positive impact during the early months of his United spell, while Bakayoko was an unmitigated disaster at Stamford Bridge.

“Whoever made that decision needs sacking, because it’s the poorest decision I’ve seen probably in the Premier League,” former Man Utd defender Phil Neville told BBC this time last year.

“He’s not over the hill, he’s still got loads of football, he’s still got loads of quality. I wouldn’t have let him out the building. I’d have chained him to the training ground door and said ‘You’re not going anywhere.’”

Fast-forward 12 months, though, and Chelsea’s decision to sell Matic now looks a lot more understandable.

The 30-year-old has been surprisingly poor during the opening weeks of the 2018-19 campaign and struggled badly against Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

He was so poor during the opening 45 minutes that he was handed a 0/10 rating – yep, a zero – from the Manchester Evening News.

United fans were in complete agreement. Hundreds of them took to social media and they were all on the same wavelength about the Serbia international: they think the 30-year-old is finished.

They’re fed up with how slow he looks and reckon his legs might actually be gone, despite the fact he’s not even that old.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.