OSCAR quit Chelsea because of Antonio Conte, Shanghai SIPG chief Sui Guoyang has revealed.
The 25-year-old completed a £60million move to China last week.
It means that the Brazil star is now one of the most expensive players in world football.
His decision to quit Stamford Bridge came after a difficult season where he made just five league starts under Conte.
And Guoyang has revealed that the midfielder’s lack of game time is what prompted him to jump ship to the Far East.
“Oscar has fallen out of favour with Conte because he has no place in Chelsea’s 3-4-3 formation,” the general manager told reporters.
“It played a key part in his desire to leave. He felt terrible to sit on the bench and not be involved. He is so young.
“Oscar wants to come back to the Brazil national team. Some of his compatriots play in the CSL and they still get called up to the national team. So it helped him to make the decision to move to China.
“And of course, the appointment of [ex-Chelsea boss] Andre Villas Boas is a plus. Oscar knows we are an ambitious club.”
Oscar left Chelsea after four-and-a-half years in the capital.
During that time he won the Premier League title and also won the League Cup and Europa League in 2015 and 2013 respectively.
Chelsea star duo train on day off: This will please Antonio Conte
JOHN TERRY and Diego Costa both reported to training yesterday while their Chelsea team-mate
Striker Costa was suspended for the clash, but Antonio Conte will have the 28-year-old available on New Year’s Eve.
Premier League table-toppers Chelsea welcome Stoke to west London, and in-form Costa will return to lead the line.
It appears the Spain international has been trying to stay in peak sharpness over Christmas too, despite not playing.
Club captain Terry posted a picture on Instagram of the two at training on Tuesday.
And the veteran defender said: “Training with Diego Costa. Enjoy your day off boys @Chelseafc.”
Terry has been sidelined for around a month due to a muscular injury, but it appears the 36-year-old is nearing a return.
Boss Conte will certainly be impressed by the pair’s dedication while their team-mates rested.
Chelsea’s spirit has been a big contributor to their rise to the Premier League summit, as the Blues lead the way by six points from Liverpool.
Eden Hazard delivers major dig at Jose Mourinho’s reign at Chelsea
Eden Hazard claims the current team under Antonio Conte is the best Chelsea side he’s played in.
The Belgian won the Premier League with Jose Mourinho in 2015, although he also endured his worst-ever campaign in the Premier League last season as the Portuguese’s turbulent second stint at Stamford Bridge ended with his sacking last December.
Under Conte, Chelsea are six points clear at the top of the Premier League, while the team are currently on a 12-game winning run.
And when asked if Conte’s team is the best Chelsea side he’s played in, Hazard replied: ‘Yes because we win every game! We are full of confidence.
‘We try to do something that we didn’t do in the past. We score some goals.’