Napoli chief Aurelio De Laurentiis is keen to ensure Maurizio Sarri does not take any more of the Serie A club’s players with him to Chelsea, with midfielder Jorginho due to undergo a medical on Thursday.
Chelsea have agreed a fee worth up to £57.4million for Jorginho, which is believed to include a compensation payment for Sarri, but Napoli president De Laurentiis will not let the move go ahead until he has assurances none of the club’s other top talent will move to Stamford Bridge while Sarri is there.
His demands should not hold up Sarri’s arrival much longer but Napoli lawyer Mattia Grassani said: “There was a meeting in Rome at the offices of De Laurentiis, without Sarri. We exchanged views with the English club and the coach’s lawyers.
“De Laurentiis wants to leave nothing to chance for the time Sarri will be at Chelsea. These are dynamics we have been facing and should be concluded by the end of the week.”
Chelsea will have to also come to an agreement to pay off current coach Antonio Conte, who has taken the pre-season training since Monday.
Jorginho has already agreed a five-year contract worth up to £102,000 a week.
Cesc Fabregas sends message to Antonio Conte after Chelsea sacking
Cesc Fabregas sent a heartfelt message to Antonio Conte after it emerged the Chelsea boss had been sacked by the Blues.
Reports on Thursday claim Conte is no longer in charge of Chelsea, but the club have yet to officially announce the Italians’s exit.
Fabregas played under Conte and won the Premier League and FA Cup with the head coach in the last two years.
The midfielder caused a stir when he appeared to like a post celebrating Conte’s exit earlier in the day, but quickly apologized insisting it was accidental, before then deleting the tweet.
But Fabregas has now issued an official farewell to Conte.
He said: ‘Thank you Mister for another Premier League title and FA Cup.
Thank you Mister for another Premier League title and FA Cup. It wasn’t easy for me to convince you in the beginning but in the end I hope I did you proud! Good luck for the future. #CFC — Cesc Fàbregas Soler (@cesc4official) July 12, 2018
‘It wasn’t easy for me to convince you in the beginning but in the end I hope I did you proud! Good luck for the future.’
Fabregas’ message suggests the players have been told Conte is no longer in charge, despite taking training on Thursday.
The attacker hinted he partly blamed Conte for missing out on selection for Spain’s squad for the World Cup in Russia this summer.
‘When Conte first game to Chelsea I wasn’t playing at all,’ he said last month.
‘He [Julen Lopetegui] wanted to try to give opportunities to the younger players who he worked with at the Under-21s and Under-19s.
‘Fair play to him, they’ve done well, they’ve been playing well for two years.
‘They qualified in style and they deserved their opportunity as well. I just have to wait and keep working.’
Former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri is expected to take over from Conte and could be named by the end of the week.