Chelsea Star to hold talks with Gareth Southgate over England future

Gary Cahill will hold talks with England boss Gareth Southgate this month as he considers the possibility of international retirement.

The 32-year-old has featured just once at the World Cup, coming into the side as one of eight changes for England’s final group game against Belgium.

He could be brought in against the same opposition when England play the third-place play-off in Saint Petersburg on Saturday and that could prove to be the Chelsea defender’s last match for his country.

“I’m going to have a good conversation with the manager about the future in the coming month,” Cahill said.

“But I can finish my England career knowing I’ve played every possible fixture I can play in the times I’ve been selected.

“(The playoff) is a very strange game, because it’s a fixture for two teams coming off the back of a disappointment, but the game is there and we need to play it.

“So if you’re asking if I want to play, yeah, I do. If selected I’ll go out and give it everything I’ve got.”

Speaking after England’s extra-time defeat to Croatia, Cahill remained positive and insists the future is bright for the young squad.

“Everyone is gutted, everyone is upset – unless you win this tournament there’s always going to be a bad feeling when you go out, whatever stage it is,” he said.

“We just fell short at the second to the last hurdle but as a team, we should be very proud of ourselves and, for me, looking at that young squad, we should just feel positive about the future.

“And if, and it’s a big if, you can keep the squad progressing in the way I’ve seen in training over the last 50 or so days that we’ve been together, well, I think it’s only a matter of time before they get their hands on some silverware.”

Jorginho heads for England and lets Maurizio Sarri news slip

Jorginho says he is “getting ready for a new adventure” with his transfer to Chelsea set to be announced.

Chelsea are on the verge of completing a double swoop on Napoli with Jorginho and former coach Maurizio Sarri set to be unveiled at Stamford Bridge.

Sarri is still under contract in Naples, but he has been replaced by Carlo Ancelotti and his long, protracted switch to Chelsea to replace Antonio Conte is close to completion.

Jorginho left Italy last night for London to complete formalities on a €65million deal, while Sarri is set to cost the Blues around €8million, according to Calciomercato.

Before he left Naples last night, Jorginho was asked by CalcioNapoli24 about his Chelsea move.

” I will miss Napoli very much so. I played there for five years and I will always be loyal to them. I had a great time in Naples as I am now getting ready for a new adventure,” he said.

A reporter then asked: “Will you say hi to Sarri for us?”

“Yes I can do that for you if you like,” replied Jorginho, before being asked who would replace him at Napoli.

“I have no idea, let’s see.”

The Napoli midfielder looked all set to sign for Man City last month, but Chelsea entered the equation late on.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has apologised to City.

De Laurentiis admitted a deal with City was agreed, but claims the player prefered to live in London, and he also revealed Jorginho is likely to be joined at Stamford Bridge by Maurizio Sarri.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*