Chelsea FC is leading the race to sign AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma this summer, according to a report in Italy.
Corriere Dello Sport, as quoted by the Daily Mirror, is reporting that Chelsea FC is the frontrunners to sign the Italy international in the 2018 summer transfer window.
The same article states that Chelsea FC is looking at Donnarumma as a potential replacement for their current number one Thibaut Courtois.
According to the same story, AC Milan is prepared to sell Donnarumma in the current transfer window with Chelsea FC at the front of the queue.
The Blues could lose Courtois to La Liga giants Real Madrid in the summer amid growing speculation that the Belgian shot-stopper could return to the Spanish capital.
Chelsea FC sent Courtois on a three-season long loan at Atletico Madrid before Courtois returned to the west London side at the start of the 2014-15 season.
The Belgian goalkeeper has won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the League Cup during his four seasons at Chelsea FC as their number one.
Courtois has his former girlfriend and two children who are still living in the Spanish capital to further fuel talk of a return.
Newcastle wait on Chelsea’s next move after opening Kenedy talks
Newcastle United’s hopes of signing Kenedy will hinge on the managerial situation at Chelsea.
Rafa Benitez hopes to re-sign the winger this summer – either on loan or on a permanent deal.
Kenedy spent the second half of last season on loan at St James’s Park. The 22-year-old – who scored two Premier League goals for United – had a big impact at the club as it climbed away from relegation trouble.
There have been talks over a fresh move – a loan with an option to buy has been mooted – but Kenedy’s situation will be clearer once the club addresses managerial uncertainty.
Antonio Conte remains in charge at Stamford Bridge, but Chelsea is looking to replace him with Maurizio Sarri before the first of the club’s players report back for the start of pre-season training next week.
Benitez – who is well-connected at Chelsea from his time as manager at the club – has made no secret of his keenness to bring Kenedy back to Newcastle.
Asked if Kenedy would be back at the club ahead of his final loan game against Tottenham Hotspur, Benitez said: “For this season, it will be his last game.
“We don’t know, it depends on Chelsea.” Kenedy – who has been on holiday in his native Brazil – spoke warmly about his time at United after leaving the North East.
Kenedy said: “Maybe one day I will be back.” Newcastle is also interested in re-signing Andros Townsend from Crystal Palace, while winger Matt Ritchie could be sold to finance the move.
Stoke City, relegated to the Championship, are interested in both Ritchie and striker Dwight Gayle, who was the subject of a £15million bid from Fulham last season.
Benitez – who has the final say on all incoming and outgoing transfers – is looking to move out a number of players this summer to free up funds.
The club will look to sell striker Aleksandar Mitrovic – who spent the second half of last season on loan at Fulham – for £20million.
Meanwhile, Real Sociedad does not expect to complete the signing of Newcastle midfielder Mikel Merino this week, according to a report in Spain.
The club is preparing to activate Merino’s release clause at St James’s Park. Pamplona-born Merino – who was signed from Borussia Dortmund last year, initially on loan – is understood to be sold on a move to Anoeta Stadium after a season on Tyneside.
United, however, is reportedly in “no hurry” to do the deal. Merino was frustrated at a lack of starts last season.
The 22-year-old found his opportunities in the second half of the campaign limited by the form of Jonjo Shelvey and Mohamed Diame. Merino is due to report back to the club for the start of pre-season training on Friday.