Bought by Chelsea after his brother Eden, Thorgan Hazard never really had a chance to make a name for himself at Stamford Bridge.
The now 24-year-old spent two years on loan at Zulte Waregem, before ending up at Borussia Mönchengladbach on another temporary contract, who subsequently bought him the following year for just over £7m.
Since then, however, rumours of Chelsea having buyback clause keep popping up, normally when Hazard is in form for the German side, yet the attacking midfielder knows isn’t even aware of its existence.
Speaking to One Mondial in France, he said: “To be honest, even I don’t know if there is one. My father deals with that now. Sometimes, I hear there is one. Here, I’m told there isn’t. Frankly, I don’t know.
“It’s not that I don’t care, but I don’t think about it. I’m happy here. If Chelsea want to buy me back one day, I think they’ll do it, that’s not an issue. Actually, if there is or isn’t one, it’s the same, really. If Chelsea want me, they’ll pay for my transfer and they’ll take me back. It’s just a detail.”
If the last report we covered on this alleged buyback clause was accurate (back in September 2016), then it expired at the end of last season.
Bild reported the figure was around €15m, yet there was never any sign over the summer that Antonio Conte had any desire to see Thorgan reunited with his brother at Stamford Bridge.
So far this season, the Gladbach star has scored five goals and picked up six assists in 14 appearances in all competitions.
Moses Looks Beyond Qarabag Clash In UCL
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is hopeful he will have Victor Moses available again for next Saturday’s (25 November) Premier League showdown with Liverpool.
Moses, 26, has not featured for the Blues since limping off during the 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace in early October with a hamstring tear. The Nigeria international recently revealed the injury was worse than initially feared, only returning to outdoor training in the first week of November with both he and his club wary of rushing back to action too soon.
The west Londoners travel to Azerbaijan on Wednesday [22 November] to take on Qarabag in the Champions League before their weekend trip to Merseyside. The mid-week trip will come too soon for Moses but Conte believes the former Crystal Palace starlet will be ready for Saturday [25 November] having now returned to full first-team training.
“Victor Moses is progressing well and I hope to have him back from tomorrow for the game after Qarabag,” Conte told reporters following Chelsea’s 4-0 win over West Bromwich Albion.
“It is important to have all the senior players in good form without injuries.”
In Moses’ absence, Cesar Azpilicueta has occasionally been moved out from his usual role in a back three to take up the right wing-back position. Conte has also turned to summer signing Davide Zappacosta to fill the void with the Italy international starting on the right in the comprehensive victory at the Hawthorns on Saturday.
But the return of his first-choice option in that role will provide Conte with a major boost ahead of the trip to Merseyside.
Moses has missed seven games for Chelsea as a result of his injury, including both Champions League ties against Roma and the Premier League victory over Manchester United.
Ahead of their trip to Anfield, Chelsea currently sit three points ahead of Jurgen Klopp’s side in the table.