Chelsea may turn to former manager Carlo Ancelotti if current boss Antonio Conte decides to walk out on the club, according to the Times journalist Duncan Castles. So take this with a mountain of salt.
Ancelotti was sacked as Bayern Munich last week, and is said to want to manage in the Premier League once again. Conte meanwhile is said to be considering leaving the Blues at the end of the season.
The Italian indicated in an interview last week that his time in England would be relatively short, and there are said to be a number of issues that are pushing Conte into leaving before the end of his contract.
The lack of communication with Roman Abramovich and director Marina Granovskaia, as well as disputes over summer signings and use of academy players, have all been suggested as potential reasons for Conte’s unhappiness.
The Irish Independent suggested last week that the Italian had a run-in with technical director Michael Emenalo, with the latter favouring a move for Romelu Lukaku while Conte wanted Morata instead.
The Chelsea manager got his way and he signed a new contract back in July, keeping him at the club until 2019, but it was clear that the Italian was not likely to stay in London for long. The new deal did not extend beyond the initial three years he had agreed to back in 2016.
Morata suffers grade two hamstring injury
The Spain international limped off during Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat against Manchester City on Saturday evening.
Morata, 24, pulled up midway through the first half.
And according to the Daily Express, the striker faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines.
They reckon Morata could be absent for up to two months with his hamstring injury.
The striker has been sensational following his summer move from Real Madrid.
Morata has netted seven goals in eight games under Antonio Conte in all competitions for the Blues.
The ex-Real hitman withdrew from the Spain squad this week following the injury against City.
Morata underwent tests on his hamstring in Madrid today, with doctors confirming he has a grade II hamstring problem.
Blues boss Conte was adamant that he won’t play for his country in their two World Cup qualifiers.
“It’s a muscular problem,” the Italian said.
“I don’t think it’s a serious problem because he stopped. He said he would prefer to stop and not risk a bad injury.
“The doctor now has to check the situation but I don’t think he’s available for the national team.”