Conte to leave Chelsea? Cahill says, “There have been a few incidents away from the training ground”

Chelsea captain Gary Cahill insists he has seen no change in Antonio Conte since returning for pre-season.

Conte has reportedly been left frustrated by the club’s dealings in the transfer market this summer and his downbeat mood during and after Sunday’s Community Shield has led to speculation he could walk away from Stamford Bridge.

Alvaro Morata, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Antonio Rudiger and Willy Caballero have arrived in the close season for a combined £130million, but a host of players have moved on to leave the champions with a threadbare squad.

Cahill – speaking exclusively to talkSPORT on Wednesday – conceded that the Chelsea squad is not as strong as some of their rivals [READ MORE ON THAT HERE].

But he claims Conte has not demonstrated any unhappiness on the training ground and has been focused only on the season ahead.

Cahill said: “For us, he has been the same on the training field. One word I would describe him as is ‘intense’.

“He thinks so hard and so much about the game and the way we train is very, very intense. He doesn’t switch off from it, which is the way he obviously manages, and it is fantastic for us.

“He thinks all the time how he can change things tactically and if he can do anything better. I’m sure he will be thinking even harder this season because of last year. People will be trying to work out how they are going to play against us.

“In terms of his personality, he has been the same with the boys.

“Obviously there have been a few incidents away from the training ground but it is hard for us as players to comment on stuff like the transfer market and the way things have gone. It has got nothing to do with us.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*