Inter Milan boss Luciano Spalletti admits Premier League champions Chelsea could yet make a move for Antonio Candreva before the summer transfer window closes.
Despite already spending close to £150million on incomings this summer, Antonio Conte is determined to bolster his squad with three or four more signings.
The former Juventus manager believes further reinforcements are necessary as he bids to compete on two fronts and experienced Italy international Candreva has emerged as a target.
The 30-year-old, who can operate on the wing or in the centre of midfield, has impressed for Inter since signing from Lazio last year and remains an important player for the Serie A giants.
However, Spalletti is aware of the interest from Stamford Bridge and says Chelsea ‘could try to do something’ in the coming weeks.
‘My position is to keep him and the club agrees with me, for now he has not shown any other signals,’ said Spalletti.
‘We go forward calmly, then I don’t know what could happen tomorrow.
‘As far as I can tell, Chelsea could try to do something. You are the ones who always anticipate these situations, so I should ask you.’
Candreva is believed to be settled in Milan but Italian outlet La Gazzetta claim Inter would consider selling the player for around £23million.
Chelsea are also being linked with Leicester’s Danny Drinkwater, Everton and England midfielder Ross Barkley and Dutch defender Virgil van Dijk.
Speaking after Sunday’s 2-1 victory over Tottenham, Conte insisted the club are ‘trying their best’ to add to his squad in the transfer market.
‘The club is trying its best in the transfer market to improve our squad but I must be happy,’ the Blues boss said.
‘We only have to think on the pitch and not to give answers to people.