Chelsea ever present and stand in captain Cesar Azpilicueta has spoken about how the club are back to winning ways – and that the victory against Tottenham Hotspur was vital for them to be able to get their confidence back and show they can work with the manager’s system and do it well.
He also heaped praise on Marcos Alonso, who was of course the man of the moment, scoring both Chelsea goals and dragging the team to all three points.
He was speaking to Chelsea’s official website and said: “Marcos has this ability to score goals. Last season he scored six in the Premier League and it was a big amount of goals for a wing-back.
“On Sunday he showed it with a free-kick. He trains these quite frequently and sometimes [last season] he hit the post in games and he was not very happy.
“In the last two minutes when he was up the field to try to score the goal, it showed the ambition of the team. We were not happy just to draw.
“We trained with the system. The manager made the decision to try to put the best possible shape in the game and it worked.
“We needed this win and we have worked really hard and we are really happy to come out with the win.”
Of course, this year it will be tougher than ever for Chelsea to retain their title – not only have their rivals spent huge amounts of money to ensure they’re in the best possible shape, but they also have European football to contend with.
That’s something Antonio Conte thinks means he needs more strength and depth to his squad – and you’d have to be delusional not to agree with him.
Last season, the fact Chelsea weren’t in Europe was something many managers mentioned – including their former boss Jose Mourinho – in terms of why the Blues had it so easy, and they’re well aware that will not be the case this time around.
More Breaking News
Monaco are considering Torino striker Andrea Belotti as a potential alternative to Chelsea’s Diego Costa if they lose Kylian Mbappe, according to La Stampa.
The Italian newspaper report the Ligue One champions are prepared to offer €80m plus Rony Lopes to make the deal happen, although the newspaper says that no “real negotiations” have taken between the two clubs as of yet.
The Evening Standard believe that Monaco are also considering a move for Costa, but it seems likely that the French league side will only make an approach for one of them.
Chelsea have placed a reported £50m price tag on the Spanish striker and have so far struggled to come to an agreement with the 28 year old’s preferred next club Atletico Madrid.
If Atletico and Monaco both turn down the chance to sign the forward, Costa will have very few options open to him, especially with just eight days to go in the transfer window.