Chelsea & Andrea Belotti
The topic of who will lead Chelsea’s attack has continued to drag on this week as the Blues missed out on Romelu Lukaku.
Antonio Conte has problems with his striking options a month before the Blues take on Burnley on August 12 – the first day of the new Premier League season.
Diego Costa has been told to find a new club, Dom Solanke has joined Liverpool, Tammy Abraham has joined Swansea, leaving Michy Batshuayi, who struggled to get minutes last season.
The Sun are the latest publication trumpeting Chelsea links to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Real Madrid’s Alvaro Morata is another option, while the big news from Italy’s La Stampa on Wednesday is that Torino’s Andrea Belotti is back on the Blues agenda.
What’s the story?
Belotti, an Italian international, proved to be one of the breakout stars of this season’s Serie A campaign, racking up an extremely impressive 26 goals and 7 assists for a side that finished just 9th in the Italian top flight table.
Previously this summer, Torino President Urbano Cairo has stated that any side who hopes to sign his star man will have to fork out the full value of Il Gallo’s buyout clause: 100 million euros.
According to La Stampa, Chelsea are ready to do just that.
Readers are told that “Chelsea are preparing a big offer for Belotti”, which if it’s not 100 million euros exactly is said to be close to that asking price.
— Giovanni Capuano (@capuanogio) July 12, 2017
If the story is true, is this smart business from Chelsea?
While Belotti starred in 2016-17, he’s got everything to prove that he’s not a one-season wonder, and it’s up for debate whether he’d be as successful in the Premier League.