Antonio Conte says Pedro’s facial injury is more serious than was first thought.
The Chelsea playmaker was taken off during the first half of the Blues’ friendly against Arsenal in China following a collision with Gunners goalkeeper David Ospina.
Pedro was taken to hospital to be assessed and Chelsea initially hoped he would rejoin the squad in Singapore, where their pre-season campaign continues with a friendly against Bayern Munich on Tuesday.
However, he has flown back to London and boss Conte says the Spaniard suffered “multiple fractures” in Saturday’s clash.
Pedro is expected to return to training the week after next and will need to wear a protective mask.
‘The situation was more serious than I thought because I hoped it would only be concussion and instead he had multiple fractures,’ the Blues boss explained. ‘With a mask, and in around 10 days, he can come back to work with us.
‘No, absolutely not,’ he added, when asked if Ospina was at fault. ‘I was a player and I know these type of accidents can happen. Ospina tried to take the ball.’
Conte, who said Kenedy is deeply sorry for the social media messages he posted while in China, also spoke about conducting pre-season training so far from home, as well as the challenges we will face in ensuring we maintain the high standards set last season when the new campaign begins.
‘I think to play this type of game is very good and for sure in modern football to have this type of pre-season is normal,’ he said. ‘We had 10 days at Cobham and then China and Singapore.
‘It’s a bit tough but for sure it’s great to play here, and we played in China and found a fantastic atmosphere. To see all the fans wearing our shirts, and to see their passion was great. Tomorrow I hope to see the same in Singapore.
‘I think the only way that I know is to work very hard with my players to prepare in the right way. To play in the Champions League is great for us and right for the club. The players are enthusiastic about it and we have one more competition to play in.’