Chelsea ready to sign record-breaking striker for just £20m – Report

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte will make a £20m ($26m) move for Sassuolo forward Domenico Berardi in the summer transfer window.

Conte views Berardi, 22, as the perfect supplementary addition to his squad for next season, according to the Sunday Mirror.

The forward was bought by Juventus from Sassuolo in 2013 but he never played a game for the Turin giants as he stayed on loan at the Neroverdi. He was sold back to Sassuolo on a permanent basis in 2015.

Chelsea face competition from Juventus for Berardi’s signature, however, with the Bianconeri having an option to buy back the forward for £15m.

Inter Milan have also been linked with the player, who is Sassuolo’s all-time top scorer.

Neroverdi president Giorgio Squinzi said in an interview last week that the club had no intention of selling Berardi this summer.

“Nothing has been decided for Domenico yet,” he was quoted as saying by Football Italia.

“We’re waiting for the eventual offers. We’re talking about a real superstar, a champion.

“The core of the matter isn’t the baseline or our initial request, it’s that our intention is not to sell him. We want to keep Domenico and make him our big symbol, that’s beyond doubt. We’ll see what happens.

“If he says he’s decided to stay this year we will welcome him with open arms and we’ll be very, very happy. I repeat though, it’s early. We just have to wait,” Squinzi added.

“I’ll only talk when there’s something concrete on the table, at the moment we don’t have any offers to evaluate.”

Chelsea have also been linked with summer moves for Everton forward Romelu Lukaku and Southampton centre-back Virgil van Dyk.

The Blues are top of the Premier League table and face Arsenal in the FA Cup final at Wembley later this month, but Conte is keen to increase the size of his squad in preparation for Champions League football next season.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*