Victor Moses has flourished in his wing-back position at Chelsea this season, but it seems the 26-year-old has Mark Hughes to thank for the ease in which he has taken on the role – if comments from the Stoke boss are anything to go by.
Moses has shone for Antonio Conte’s league leaders this term after the Italian decided against sending the forward out on another loan spell following his arrival in the summer.
The Nigeria international has re-paid Conte’s faith in his abilities by scoring three league goals – including the winner against Tottenham recently – to be named as the PFA Fans’ Premier League Player of the Month for November.
Much of Moses’ success in the current Chelsea side has been the 26-year-old’s ability and willingness to take on the right wing-back role that Conte asked him to occupy in September, which sees the winger play just in front of Pedro and carry out both defensive and attacking work.
But Hughes, who managed Moses during the player’s loan spell at Stoke during the 2014/15 season, says he helped the winger hone his defensive abilities – claiming the Nigerian wasn’t great at defending before coming to the Britannia Stadium.
“I’m not surprised at all. I’m going to take all the credit for all his defensive work because when he came here, he wasn’t great at that,” Hughes said in his pre-match press conference ahead of Stoke’s trip to Chelsea on New Year’s Eve.
“We taught him how to defend and now he’s reaping the benefits at Chelsea!”
Chelsea prepared to spend £55m on this Premier League star
CHELSEA are reportedly ready to pay what it takes to sign Virgil Van Dijk.
The Southampton star has come to the fore as one of the Premier League’s top defenders over the past eighteen months.
And his form under Claude Puel this season is said to have caught the eye of a host of the Saints’ top flight rivals.
Manchester United and Liverpool have both been linked with the former Celtic centre-back.
But it appears Chelsea and Manchester City could be the duo to do battle for Van Dijk’s signature next year.
According to the Daily Mail, both teams are keen to add to their defensive options.
Chelsea gaffer Antonio Conte’s summer pursuit of Kalidou Koulibaly was fruitless.
Meanwhile, City boss Pep Guardiola missed out on deals for Aymeric Laporte and Leonardo Bonucci.
Southampton are thought to be demanding up to £55m to let Van Dijk leave St Mary’s.
Although the Daily Mail say that price tag will not put Chelsea or City off as they seek to bolster their respective squads.
In the wake of last night’s 4-1 defeat to Tottenham, Van Dijk will be hoping to recapture his best form when Southampton play host to West Brom on Saturday.
Pedro names his toughest Premier League opponent since joining Chelsea
Chelsea forward Pedro has picked Tottenham left-back Danny Rose as the toughest player he’s faced in the Premier League.
The Spaniard joined Stamford Bridge in a £21.4 million deal from Barcelona in 2015, and featured twice against Spurs last season, with both matches ending in draws.
Pedro scored a sublime equaliser in Chelsea’s victory over Tottenham in November but Rose missed the fixture due to a suspension.
Pedro has only faced Rose for 134 minutes in the Premier League, but according to the Daily Telegraph’s Matt Law, the England international was named as the Chelsea star’s toughest opponent.
When I interviewed Pedro last week I asked him which player in the PL surprised him. He said Danny Rose and rates him as toughest opponent
— Matt Law (@Matt_Law_DT) December 28, 2016