Premier League leaders Chelsea are the latest club that have been reported to be keen on signing former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez.
German news publication Bild have reported that Bayer Leverkusen could be ready to listen to offers for Javier Hernandez, if a club met their price, before adding that current Premier League leaders are interested with Antonio Conte keen on adding the Mexico international to his squad.
Hernandez, also affectionately known as ‘Chicharito’, moved to Bayer Leverkusen from Chelsea’s rivals Manchester United last season. His start to life in the Bundesliga was exemplary, as he won the league’s Player of the Month award for three months in succession, having scored important goals for Roger Schmidt’s side.
However, he has failed to replicate the success of last campaign – when he scored 26 goals – at the start of this season, having scored just seven times in 19 appearances for Leverkusen thus far, with no goals in his last fourteen outings in all competitions.
— Bundesliga Spotlight (@BundesligaSpot) December 28, 2016
However, that doesn’t seem to have deterred Antonio Conte, who could enter the market for a striker in the January transfer window, with his club also linked to Atalanta’s Frank Kessie. Chelsea, if they do decide to make a move for Hernandez, will face competition for his acquisition, as both Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool are also keeping tabs on the Mexican striker.
Hernandez’s current deal with Leverkusen will run out in the summer of 2018, and his contract is reported to have a buyout clause of £33.5 million. Indeed, the figure reported by Bild lies in the same region, as their report states that Leverkusen will only listen to offers between €30 million-€40 million.
Despite the hefty price tag, money will not be a roadblock in Chelsea’s pursuit of Hernandez, as his successful stint with Manchester United showed that he has a penchant for grabbing important goals. Chicharito scored 37 Premier League goals for the Red Devils at an impressive rate of 130 minutes per goal.
With Michy Batshuayi struggling to make a mark at Stamford Bridge so far, Hernandez’s acquisition could prove to be a masterstroke on the part of Conte, as he searches for an able backup for talismanic striker Diego Costa.
Coach: Chelsea have another Victor Moses on their hands… all he needs is a chance
Chelsea could already have another Victor Moses on their hands in Kenneth Omeruo.
That’s the opinion of John Obuh, who worked with Omeruo during his time coaching Nigeria at youth level.
He believes Antonio Conte just needs to give the 23-year-old centre-back a chance just like he has done with his compatriot Moses.
Moses was sent out on loan to Liverpool, West Ham and Stoke before finally nailing down a fist-team spot for Chelsea this season.
He has shone in Conte’s 3-4-3 system, scoring three goals in 17 top-flight outings from his new wing-back role.
“All he needs is a chance just like Victor Moses, we all saw how he was sent on several loans but finally got his chance under Antonio Conte, and he is making his mark”, Obuh, who is currently in charge of Kwara United in Nigeria, told Owngoalnigeria.com.
“He is very good in playing several roles, due to his training as a full back before he finally settled for a central defence role, you also have to know that he is very comfortable as a defensive midfielder”.
Omeru signed for Chelsea from Standard Liege in 2012.
He is currently on loan at Turkish outfit Alanyaspor, having previously spent time with ADO Den Haag, Middlesbrough and Kasimpasa.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek desperately needs Chelsea loan departure
With Ruben Loftus-Cheek linked with a Newcastle United loan move, Chelsea should do their utmost to facilitate the deal and grant him football.
The January transfer window is due to open in a few days. Moreover, Chelsea look set to be relatively busy throughout the month as Antonio Conte tries to support the club’s Premier League challenge. Having said that, Ruben Loftus-Cheek seems to be on his way to Newcastle United in a move he so desperately needs.
The latest reports claim that the Geordies are awaiting a decision from Conte. Local newspaper, the Newcastle Chronicle, states that the Blues are hoping to send the midfielder to a top flight club.
Newcastle United are waiting to hear back from Antonio Conte on their loan bid for Ruben Loftus-Cheek…The Loftus-Cheek deal depends on whether Chelsea can find a club in the Premier League who will offer him regular first team action.
Loftus-Cheek has made just three competitive appearances for Chelsea so far this season. While the Blues have surged to the summit of English football, the midfielder has been a spectator on the sidelines.
At the age of 20, the last thing Loftus-Cheek needs is to waste away on the bench. He has always been touted as one of the most talented youngsters to come through Chelsea’s academy system. This season, though, he has taken a firm stop in the wrong direction.
Conte is hardly at fault either. With his side on a 12-game winning streak, there is little reason to give Loftus-Cheek any game time. Hence, it makes sense for all parties to loan him out.
The club may be holding out for a Premier League offer, but Newcastle is a decent enough destination. The Toon are currently in second place and are favourites to be promoted. Furthermore, they have a world-class manager in Rafa Benitez (despite what some Chelsea fans may believe).
Getting regular football at a winning team is worth a lot, even if it is one division below. With the report indicating that Benitez is considering other options, Chelsea cannot let this one slip. If Newcastle agree another deal before Conte makes up his mind, any potential switch for Loftus-Cheek is off the table.
The 20-year-old is still a talent and Chelsea owe it to him to facilitate his development. This Newcastle move should be sorted sooner rather than later.