Chelsea boss Antonio Conte: I felt scared after Sergio Aguero’s tackle on David Luiz

ANTONIO CONTE has admitted he was “scared” by Sergio Aguero’s horror tackle on David Luiz last week and revealed the Brazil defender has still not fully recovered.

But Aguero’s Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola insists the Argentine is not an aggressive player, despite losing him to suspension for seven games already this season.

Chelsea manager Conte branded the late tackle on Luiz’s knee near the end of last week’s crucial 3-1 win at the Etihad “dangerous”. Aguero was sent off by referee Anthony Taylor, along with City midfielder Fernandinho as tempers exploded.

Luiz missed two days of training this week and is still not a certainty to be ready to face West Brom tomorrow, and Conte said: “That tackle was dangerous, for sure.

“I watched the images and I was afraid David might be injured. I was scared. This was very dangerous.

“I have to check if David is able to play because this tackle was very bad.”

Aguero picked up a three-match ban early in the campaign after being found guilty on TV evidence of elbowing West Ham defender Winston Reid.

But Guardiola hinted – without saying it outright – that his striker is the victim of harsh refereeing, and is more sinned against than sinning.

“Sergio’s not an aggressive player,” said Guardiola. “It’s two red cards, seven games, accept the punishment.

“It’s not my job, it’s a job for the referees. I’m not comfortable talking about the referees. We just have to accept it and try to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

1 Comment

  1. Truly speaking, that tackle on Luiz was very dangerous. We are not sure whether Luiz is going to play or not against West Brom on Sunday

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*