Heartbreak for Chelsea fans: Defender says, ” I won’t be going to Chelsea in January”
Chelsea loanee Andreas Christensen says he will not be cutting short his loan spell at Borussia Monchengladbach to return to Stamford Bridge in January.
The highly-rated defender, 20, is currently in the middle of a two-year loan spell with the German club.
Gladbach have twice made offers to sign him on a permanent basis, but have seen both bids rebuffed by the Blues.
They remain undeterred however, with sporting director Max Eberl last week telling Bild “We will fight fight for Andreas”, amid suggestions of a renewed £20million deal.
Yet there has also been speculation that Chelsea boss Antonio Conte wants to end his loan deal early, bringing Christensen back into the Stamford Bridge fold when the transfer window reopens.
The Dane is preparing for Gladbach’s Champions League clash with Manchester City on Wednesday night, having returned to the Gladbach side in Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Koln, following a month on the sidelines with a thigh problem.
And Christensen says he is only focused on matters at the Borussia Park right now.
“We aren’t in talks with Chelsea. I’m staying at Borussia,” declared the centre-half on Tuesday. “I’m just focusing on tomorrow’s game.”
Gladbach have an outside chance of qualification for the knockout stages, but after being held by Celtic in their last match must beat City to stand any chance of progressing.