Chelsea vs West Brom (3-2) – Initial Reaction And Analysis
The Hawthorns haven’t been a happy hunting ground for the Blues in the recent past, but today, we needed 3 points more than ever.
The new signing, Pedro Rodriguez, immediately got a start on the Right Wing while, Baba Rahman remained absent from the bench.
Meanwhile, both Ramires and Cuadrado failed to make the bench too. Is this a sign for something to come? A Pogba swap deal somebody?
Although, it felt good to see Traore and RLC making the bench. Youths!
Let’s find out how the game panned out for the Blues today:
– Still can’t get used to the fact that Pedro is a Blue now! I bet the Barcelona fans would be feeling the same. But, we finally have soomeone who can compliment Hazard brilliantly on the opposite wing!
Meanwhile, West Brom were unbeaten in the last 4 home Premier League matches against Chelsea. But you could sense something was about to change this evening.
By the way, did I mention we looked cool in the black kit?
– It was the home side who exploited our defensive weakness in the 4th minute as Mclain nearly found the back of the net from a good cross. Costa nearly opened his account after a break away, but the Spaniard missed the target under pressure.
– It was a disastrous start for Chelsea as Matic tripped a West Brom player in the box in the 12th minute. It was a clear cut penalty for the home side as Morrison stepped up for the Baggies, but Thibaut Courtois made a brilliant save to deny the Tony Pulis’ side. Amazing stuff from the Belgian! Not so good by Nemanja Matic, who looked to be struggling with his challenges in the starting few minutes!
– Couldn’t have asked for a better debut from Pedro!
The Spaniard played a brilliant one-two with Eden Hazard as both the Wingers twinkle-toed through the Baggies defense impressively. Eden Hazard played a good pass to Pedro inside the box and having a DIRECT WINGER ON THE RIGHT meant Pedro had no problem scoring his debut goal at the Hawthorns just 20 minutes into the game! Do I need to tell you he went past like 5 defenders to get his shot away? I am sure Memphis Depay does that eyes closed, eh United?
The stadium also burst with “Are you watching Manchester United” chants which was hilarious from the supporters!
– As we approached the half an hour mark, Chelsea broke through again, after clearing a Baggies corner. Fabregas did what he does best; find Willian with a brilliant pass who in turn found Pedro on the right. The Spaniard, on his debut, also collected an assist after finding Costa with a great cross who made no mistake putting it into the back of the net. It was also the first goal for Diego Costa this season to make it 2-0 in our favor.
Way to go Chelsea! Way to go Costa!
– Okay, so it all started after Ivanovic misplaced a pass to Zouma who slipped and lost the possession. The Baggies constructed a few good passes before crossing it into the box. We might have improved in offense, but West Brom showed our vulnerability in defense as Morrison made up for the lost penalty by putting it past Courtois after some horrible defending from the Blues. The score read 2-1 at the end of the 35th minute!
Oh, and Pedro nearly collected his second assist too, after some brilliant play inside the box only for Willian to fluff up a very easy chance. We need more goals from you Willian!
– 42 minutes in and Fabregas found Diego Costa inside the box with a nice scoop. The Spaniard fell over, under pressure from a defender and appealed for a penalty, while Azpilicueta creeped through like a ghost and put the ball behind the net to make it 3-1.
The Goalkeeper could only stand there admiring Azpi’s good looks while the ball creeped inside the net. First Premier League goal for the Spaniard and a very important one too!
– The first half ended with Chelsea leading the game 3-1 and well on their way to grab the three points!
There were signs of improvement offensively with Hazard and Pedro into the thick of the things but, defensively, our struggle was for everyone to see. Maybe, we do need a CB after all!
– The second half started with no changes from Jose Mourinho.
Disaster struck in the 54th minute as John Terry was sent off for a foul on Rondon and Chelsea conceded a free kick just outside the penalty area.
Gary Cahill had to come on as Willian was sacrificed for the defender. On the replay, it was evident that the contact wasn’t enough from Terry and it appeared to be a bad decision from the referee Clattenburg!
– Morrison doubled his tally in the 60th minute as he scored a very good header from a cross to make it 3-2 for West Brom.
The Englishman was inside the box as he rounded off Ivanovic (!) to score a superb header past Courtois. The Serbian should have done better against Morrison there but, then again, he should have done better all season!
Shit always seems to happen to us at the Hawthorns!
– Playing with 10 players meant we were on the backfoot as the home side dominated the major part of the proceedings. McMananan came closest to equalize in the 72nd minute, but his shot was just wide off the post.
Meanwhile, Diego Costa made a great run in the 77th minute and the Spaniard should have made it 4-2 only to see his shot well high of the post.
He was shortly replaced by Radamel Falcao in the 78th minute.
– Jose Mourinho, eventually, threw on Mikel in the 85th minute to close the doors as he replaced the debutant and the Man Of The Match Pedro with a standing ovation from the fans.
– With Chelsea reverting to something of a 4-4-1, the Blues did brilliantly to close the shops and hold off the home side in an impressive manner. The introduction of Mikel meant we were well stuffed in the center, even though, Fabregas was jaded and out of breath in the latter part of the game.
Well, as they say, shit and bad decisions happens to us at Hawthorns. Fortunately, this time we came off with three points to show!
Oh, and we still need a defender or probably Baba Rahman to start ahead of Ivanovic!
If you want to write articles & share your views with your fellow Blues, contact us at – email@example.com
Now you can get all the latest Chelsea news and updates through our Android app. Download it now! Features: Chelsea News and Updates, Real time Chat with fellow Chelsea Fans, Fixtures in Local Time, Live Score Updates and many more features. Click here to download the app.