Hello and welcome everyone to our last preseason game! After a rare loss to Arsenal in Community Shield, we were under pressure to perform against Fiorentina. However, with the Premier League season starting in just a couple of days, Mourinho opted for a young line-up with the likes of Ola Aina, RLC, and Traore, all getting a start. Meanwhile, Cuadrado also started against his older club.
Without much delay, let’s get on with the initial reaction to find out how the game panned out for us:
– First of all a word on the atmosphere at the Bridge which was absolutely electrifying with the Stamford Bridge painted Blue! Ah, football is finally back at home!
We started in what looked like a 3-4-3 with Begovic making an excellent save inside two minutes after an amateur mistake by Mikel just outside the box.
Interestingly, Ola Aina started at the Right Back with Bertrand Traore playing as a Left wing back just behind Moses.
– Meanwhile, Ruben Loftus-Cheek made an incredible run at the 10th-minute mark, rounding off couple of defenders in the Viola box, before just being denied in front of goal. Great play from RLC!
– Meanwhile, Bertrand Traore continued to have a horrible time at the Left Wing with the youngster committing a number of mistakes in the new position.
Cuadrado and Moses interchanged wings after the 20 minutes mark with Moses shifting to the Right Wing.
– After enjoying major possession in the first 25 minutes, Blues gradually lost the plot as Fiorentina grew into the game. Begovic did well to deny the visitors on a couple of occasions, but Fiorentina imminently went 1-0 up around the 33rd-minute mark after Rodriguez scored on the rebound. Terrible defending from the Blues!
– The first half ended with the Blues trailing by 1-0. It was a disappointing performance from Chelsea with only Moses managing to impress in the first 45 minutes. Traore and Mikel had a horrible time while our midfield looked non-existent! It was time for a tough Mourinho talk, maybe? Too one dimensional? Too slow? Let’s see how the second half panned out!
– Mourinho introduced Azpilicueta, Matic, Cahill and Ivanovic for the second half as Terry, Aina, Mikel and Traore made way for the lots.
There was definitely a sense of urgency for the Blues with the introduction of the few first team players as we searched for an equalizer.
– Victor Moses suffered a few knocks and Jose had to replace the Nigerian with Ramires 10 minutes into the second half.
RLC, Cuadrado, Oscar and Falcao, all failed to make any impact for the Blues as they were replaced by Hazard, Remy, Willian and Fabregas at the hour mark as we finally had our full first team squad on the pitch.
– We certainly looked more intent going forward after the introduction of our star players however, we still lacked the final product just like we did against Arsenal. Remy’s hold up play was still questionable as the Frenchman looked incapable to fall back and help in the build up play. This is where Costa is such an outstanding striker as the Spaniard is brilliant in that aspect!
– After some 15 minutes of dominant possession but zilch end product, Remy created an opportunity for himself in the 85th minute, but the Frenchman could only manage his shot well wide of the goal. I am certainly missing Diego Costa now!
– Well, another game, another 1-0 loss. Life ain’t so perfect at Stamford Bridge right now. Lots of intent but NO END PRODUCT! That’s been the story for the Blues this preseason. Let’s hope it all changes against Swansea on 8th. I can’t say I am not getting anxious, though!
Oh, and Zouma did try to kill a Fiorentina player in the extra time. That’s for Salah, he whispered in the ears!
If you want to write articles & share your views with your fellow Blues, contact us at – firstname.lastname@example.org
Now you can get all the latest Chelsea news and updates through our Android app. Download it now! Features: Chelsea News and Updates, Real time Chat with fellow Chelsea Fans, Fixtures in Local Time, Live Score Updates and many more features. Click here to download the app.