Chelsea vs Crystal Palace (1-2) – Initial Reaction And Analysis
4th match week and we sit at 10th position. Doesn’t feel right, does it?
But that’s how things have panned out for the Chelsea Football Club this season. Hopefully, no more dramas, no more sending offs and no more penalties as we look to get back to our best against a very good Crystal Palace side.
So, let’s take a look at the initial reaction and analysis to see how things went about at the Bridge:
– Chelsea started the game brightly with Pedro combining well with Ivanovic on the right side of the field. We also managed to watch a classic Ivanovic shot into the third tier fairly early into the game which wasn’t fun!
Meanwhile, Wilfried Zaha started on the Left Wing for the Glaziers to exploit Ivanovic’s lack of pace.
– Sit back and defend, hit us on the counter, exploit our Right Wing; this seemed to be the primary tactics of Palace as Chelsea dominated the major part of the proceedings at the Bridge.
One obvious change made by Jose Mourinho to improve our leaky defense was having Matic drop deeper than usual. The Serbian started just alongside Cahill and Zouma as Chelsea looked to do better defensively.
– If you thought it would be any different the fourth time, it wasn’t as Ivanovic continued to have a problem on the wings. Cabaye had a great chance to open the scoring around the half an hour mark, but fortunately, the Frenchman shot was a comfortable save for Courtois.
– There was no pressing from Crystal Palace on our side of the pitch as the visitors looked to use their pace on the break. Azpilicueta was unarguably our best player on the field in the first half while Eden Hazard again struggled to make an impact on the game.
The best chance came for the home side in the 42nd minute when Diego Costa shot was saved by the Palace keeper. The resulting rebound fell to Cesc Fabregas, but the Spaniard failed to put the ball into the back of the net before the danger was eventually cleared.
– The first half ended with a scoreline of 0-0 as Chelsea struggled to break down Palace’s defense. We did look better defensively, but, then again, Palace didn’t take the game to us anyway! It was more of a defend and counter attack and possibly get Zaha one on one with Ivanovic on the wings. The Blues had to do better than that to grab the all important 3 points at home!
– The second half started with no changes from Jose Mourinho.
Scoring goals was the need of the hour and both the teams started the game searching for one!
Diego Costa had a penalty appeal denied in the 50th minute which seemed to the correct decision after watching the replay.
Meanwhile, Ivanovic continued to be exploited on the wings. Time to integrate Baba Rahman into the side, maybe?
– Courtois had to make a good save to deny Sako in the 55th minute as Bolassie replaced Zaha on the Left Wing. Even more pace for Ivanovic to deal with!
Hazard did wake up in the second half as the Belgian looked far more purposeful with his runs at Palace’s defense.
– It had to happen, didn’t it?
Chelsea looking good went 1-0 behind in the 65th minute as Sako scored the goal for the visitors!
It was a cutback ball from Bolassie from our Right Wing as the winger found Sako whose initial shot was blocked by Azpilicueta, but Sako made no mistake finishing the rebound to make it 1-0 for visitors.
– Mourinho threw on Falcao and the 19-year-old Kenedy in place of Willian and Azpilicueta as an answer to the goal. The Brazilian started as a wing back on the left as Chelsea went in an all attack mode.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek replaced Matic in the 73rd minute which was a surprise!
Bolassie missed a golden chance to finish off the game in the 73rd minute as Ivanovic was too slow to catch up to him.
– Falcao scored! Finally! Super header! A cross from Pedro from the Right Wing found Falcao who made no mistake putting it back into the net to make it 1-1 Chelsea.
Palace made it 2-1 minutes later as Joe Ward put the visitors back in front from point blank range. I still don’t know why Mourinho subbed off Azpilicueta for Kenedy as Palace exploited our Left Wing perfectly well. This goal was the result of Palace exploiting that part of our field!
– Another game another 3 points lost. I don’t know what to say here. It was a game we should have won comfortably, but we fluffed it up yet again!
There’s no way we are winning the League like this, are we? At least not until Ivanovic starts!
If you want to write articles & share your views with your fellow Blues, contact us at – firstname.lastname@example.org
To get all Chelsea News and Updates, Real time Chat with fellow Chelsea Fans, Fixtures in Local Time, Live Score Updates and many more features. Please download our Android app.