Arsenal vs Chelsea (1-0) – Initial Reaction And Analysis
Hello, everyone! Real Football was FINALLY back tonight when Chelsea took on Arsenal for the Community Shield trophy at Wembley.
There’s nothing better in the world than to stop Arsenal from winning a trophy and that was enough motivation for our boys in Blue.
As expected, Jose Mourinho started the game with a bit of a defensive squad as Ramires slotted in the middle alongside Fabregas and Matic while, Willian kept his place as the No. 10 ahead of Oscar. Diego Costa was a notable absentee as Remy started up front!
For Arsenal, Cech took the gloves for the first time in a competitive game while Alexis Sanchez missed out for the Gunners.
So what’s the wait then? Let’s get on with the initial reaction to find how the game panned out for the Blues:
– I still can’t get over the fact that Cech plays for Arsenal now! It still irritates me watching our legend in red!
Meanwhile, Chelsea started the game as expected; conceding possession to Arsenal in order to hit them on the counter. Arsenal started with their usual high line causing us a few problems in the middle with their superior speed up front.
– We played quite a few long balls early on to exploit Gooners’ high line but to no advantage.
Gary Cahill aggravated his nose injury in the 18th minute while trying to clear the ball, but the Englishman continued the play after receiving a bit of treatment. Brave lad, Cahill!
– Arsenal made merry of the good spell they had after the 15th-minute mark as Oxlade-Chamberlain opened the scoring for Gooners in the 24th minute. The Englishman received a pass at the edge of the box as he rounded up Azpilicueta to shoot past Courtois and make it 1-0 for the bad guys! The Spaniard was guilty of backing too much instead of making a challenge on Chamberlain which probably cost us the goal. Can’t say it wasn’t coming, though!
– We did look positive after conceding the goal as we enjoyed possession inside Arsenal’s half, but Ramires wasted a couple of glorious chances to level the score. I am still not sure why he got the nod over Oscar/Moses!
– Meanwhile, Loic Remy continued to stay offside for the majority of the half while, Ramires continued to lose the ball everywhere as the first half came to an end. While, players like Willian did impress, the likes of Ramires, Hazard and even Fabregas were wasteful. Not a good half for the Blues!
– Jose Mourinho introduced Radamel Falcao in place of Loic Remy at the start of the second half as our only change after the break. We did start the half brilliantly albeit, without any end results as Costa watched from the stands!
Mourinho probably realizing the need of creativity in the middle FINALLY introduced Oscar in place of a wasteful Ramires in the 53rd minute.
– We did enjoy a large percentage of possession in the second half, but the number of offsides we managed in the match were enough to embarrass the likes of Demba Ba.
Hazard had a brilliant chance to equalize for us at the hour mark after a mesmerizing through ball from Fabregas, but the Belgian could only manage a hilarious miss at the end. Awful stuff from our top player!
– Azpilicueta, who had a dreadful time containing Chamberlain, was finally relieved of his misery in the 70th minute as Zouma replaced the Spaniard. Meanwhile, Cech managed to make a brilliant save from Oscar’s free-kick to deny us a goal. Bad move to let the big man go?
Oh, and we did revert to a 3-5-2 with Ivanovic practically playing as a Right Winger!
– Mourinho made a surprise substitution by introducing Victor Moses in place of John Terry as we went all out attack for the last few minutes!
– The game got a lot more open with Chelsea playing just 3 at the back as both the teams looked for a goal.
There wasn’t any twist in the tales though as we were quite wasteful in front of the goal and Arsene Wenger finally managed to get the better of Mourinho in 14 meetings. Sigh! Enjoy the win and the trophy Gooners as I sign off to commit suicide.
If you want to write articles & share your views with your fellow Blues, contact us at – email@example.com
Now you can get all the latest Chelsea news and updates through our Android app. Download it now! Features: Chelsea News and Updates, Real time Chat with fellow Chelsea Fans, Fixtures in Local Time, Live Score Updates and many more features. Click here to download the app.