Chelsea & Manchester City Remaining Away Fixtures
Chelsea commenced this season with a bang and were unbeaten and looked uncatchable till November-end before the Newcastle away defeat.
Pundits and football experts of all sorts have predicted Chelsea to clinch the 2014-15 Premier League. Whereas Manchester City were struggling with their form till late November but are now just 3 points behind Chelsea in the second position.
The season has reached half way and there some difficult away fixtures left to play for these two title rivals. Let us analyze the away fixtures of both the teams and understand which team has the upper hand on the basis of Probability to win the Premier League title.
Chelsea Away Fixture
Chelsea played Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Everton and Southampton away before January and were able to get 9 out of possible 15 points. They drew at Old Trafford, The Etihad and at St Mary’s and won at both the Merseyside stadiums. Now the remaining tough opponents for the blues are their London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham. Let’s gauge the Londoner’s chances in these fixtures:
1. Tottenham Hotspurs: Chelsea have a bitter rivalry with Spurs and boast of a superb head to head record against the North Londoners. Last time when Chelsea faced Tottenham the game ended in a 3-0 victory for the Blues at the Bridge. Whereas they have won last 5 of their nine fixtures against spurs and drew four. This upcoming match is going to be played at the White Hart Lane. It won’t be easy for Chelsea to get all three points but taking their current form into consideration chances of them winning this fixture are quite high.
2. Arsenal: Just like Spurs, the Gunners are Chelsea’s London rivals and previous matches between these two giants have produced many football classics. The last clash between Chelsea and Arsenal ended 2-0 in Chelsea’s favor at Stamford Bridge. Jose Mourinho has never lost a match against Arsene Wenger, and Chelsea have won last 5 of their 9 games against Arsenal and drew 2. Arsenal are not in good shape this season and Chelsea are the most feared team to play against. Hence, this match will not be a difficult one for the blues.
Manchester City Away Fixtures
In the first half of the season, Arsenal is the only team that Man City played away this season and that game resulted in a 2-2 draw. Many difficult away fixtures like Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Everton, and Spurs are left for City.
1. Everton: Everton haven’t been good lately and they are 12th in the Premier League table. Man City have won 4 of their last nine games against Everton which is a pretty decent record. Taking Everton’s current form into consideration it will be an easy fixture for City and 3 points can be expected.
2. Chelsea: This fixture is always the most anticipated fixture of the season and the toughest one. Chelsea are at the top, Man City are in 2nd place 3 points behind Chelsea. Man City have only won 3 of their previous 9 fixtures against Chelsea and drawn 2. Chelsea this season have won all of their home fixtures and are in an exquisite form at home. Hence, it won’t be an easy fixture for City; even a draw will be a significant achievement.
3. Liverpool: Just like Everton, Liverpool are also in a bad condition as they are 8th in the points table and have the sloppiest defense in the Premier League. Man City have won only 3 of their last 9 games versus Liverpool and their record at Anfield is destitute. But taking Liverpool’s current form into consideration it will not be a difficult fixture for City if they are up to their paces.
4. Manchester United: Man City are second and Man United are 3rd, but there is a difference of 7 points between these two city rivals. Whereas City have a very impressive winning record versus United as they have won previous 6 of their 9 fixtures versus the Red Devils. Since Man United are in splendid form by their standards and with some Van Gaal effect, it will not be an easy game for city.
5. Tottenham Hotspurs: For Man City, Tottenham are the easiest opponent to face among all these. Man City have a magnificent winning record against Spurs and they have won most of the games versus Spurs by a comprehensive margin. City have won previous 7 of their 9 meetings against Spurs by scoring 27 goals. Hence, it will be a very subpar game and easy 3 points for City.
If you want to write articles & share your views with your fellow Blues, contact us at – email@example.com
Edited By: Ojas Tripathi