Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa may find their places occupied

Spanish manager Vicente Del Bosque has said that injured Chelsea duo Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa may find their places occupied by someone else when they return to the national side.

Both the players were absent in Spain’s games against Belarus and Germany this week, after playing in Chelsea’s victory over Liverpool last Saturday.

Download our Android app

In an interview to Spanish radio Onda Cero, Del Bosque said:

“It could be that when Costa and Fabregas comeback another player has taken their place. That is not a threat, it’s just reality.”

“All players want to come to the selection. My responsibility has always been the pursuit of normality and finding the best for our football.”

Mourinho vs Del Bosque

Del Bosque and Blues’ boss Jose Mourinho do not really see eye-to-eye on the Diego Costa issue, and the feud between the two has been well-documented in the past month.

At the end of October, Mourinho blamed Del Bosque for picking Costa for the national team despite the striker struggling with fitness issues. As a result, the 26-year-old missed two weeks of football for Chelsea with a virus, before finally returning last week at Anfield. The former Atletico Madrid man scored the winner in that game but was not picked by Del Bosque this week. Mourinho firmly stated that he had had no part to play in these proceedings.

Fabregas, on the other hand, was carrying an injury last week too but managed to complete the full 90 minutes at Merseyside. Mourinho said after the game that he had a lot to thank the Chelsea medical staff for.

The midfielder, though, failed a fitness test with the national side last Tuesday and returned to Cobham to further assess what is believed to be a minor hamstring problem. It has been reported by the Daily Mail that he is expected to be available for Chelsea in Saturday’s Premier League clash against West Bromwich Albion.

Do Chelsea really care?

There seems to be a divide forming between the two parties. Last week, Sergio Ramos seemed to question the duo’s commitment towards their country.

“I came the last time; I had a test and was not able to play due to a small tear in my calf muscle.

“But there are times I have played despite having some niggles. It depends on the DNA of the player. It is difficult because this is not a club team, but the national team where you do not come here every day”, he said in an interview to Radio MARCA.

Del Bosque even went to the extent of questioning the genuineness of Fabregas’ injury by making the following comments.

“His muscle seems all right but he complains and he is the best doctor. I prefer to be deceived but I cannot be distrustful.

“When a player of his calibre tells you that he is injured, you have to believe him.”

The current situation, though, is playing very much into Chelsea’s hands. Since moving to Stamford Bridge in the summer, Fabregas and Costa have been absolutely immense. The former is top of the assists’ rankings with 9, while the latter has already touched double-figures in the goalscoring charts.

This has helped the Blues remain unbeaten in their first 11 games and open up a sizeable gap of 8 points between themselves and defending champions Manchester City.

With the form they are in at the moment, there is no way that Fabregas and Costa can replaced in the national side. Del Bosque’s comments, therefore, mask a deeper issue. If a boycott is to ensure, Fabregas and Costa will be available for Chelsea every week in prime condition.

Could Jose Mourinho ask for more?

Edited By: Girish Bhangre

Download our Android app

Like Us on Facebook: Game Has Just Begun


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *