Chelsea vs Aston Villa (3-0): Initial Reaction and Analysis
It was the 6th game for the leaders Chelsea in this seasons Premier League when they hosted Aston Villa at the Stamford Bridge in afternoon clash.
Jose Mourinho after resting his key players in the midweek Capital One Cup match put up his strongest team against the Paul Lambert’s side.
Here’s the initial reaction to the match:
– After most of them got the important rest in midweek the blues were back on the pitch today. Chelsea started in a familiar 4-2-3-1 fashion and straight away put pressure on the visitors with the high pressing and kind of attacking football we have come to expect from this team.
And surely the goal did come for the blues in the 8th minute through last match hero Oscar.
It was Willian whose initial shot was saved by Guzan but the ball came back to him and Willian in turn lay it for Oscar who just had to tap in and give us the lead.
– The blues continued to dominate the initial minutes with Costa’s backheel for Willian in the 14th minute the highlight of the start.
Aston Villa meanwhile sat deep looking to counter attack from Agbonlahor and posed a threat from the set-pieces.
Fabregas for blues looked fantastic in his deep midfield role and was at the heart of every decent threat the blues posed from the center through his incisive passing and wonderful chips.
– The blues dominated the possession but couldn’t create much with Villa defending with ten players but occasionally looked threatening in the opposition box.Ivanovic from the right-hand side looked in a beastly mode while Costa linked up well with Fabregas.
– It was interesting to see Oscar drifting on to the left wing rather than his usual no.10 role while Willian is playing a more central role. Hazard in turn mostly occupied the right wing.
– The first half ended with blues leading 1-0. The scoreline looked modest compared to the way blues dominated the game with literally every minute being played in the opposition half. But with Villa content on parking the bus not much could be created by the blues.
Oscar meanwhile looked back to his very best form with clever chips and flicks scoring the only goal in the first half.
The Villans down by just a goal were in no way out of this game making it an interesting second half to follow.
– The second half started with no changes from either side. And there was no changes in tactics too with Villa still continuing to sit deep with ten players and looking to counter while Chelsea dominated the game in the opposition half.
It was difficult for the Blues to create anything meaningful against the parked bus while the Villans had a couple of decent set-piece threat but nothing dangerous came out of it.
– Blues had a good chance in the 56th minute to double the lead through Costa which the striker missed but he was not gonna miss the second time around when he doubled the lead in 59th minute from an Azpilicueta’s cross.
It was the 8th goal for the striker who easily got ahead of Baker to head it past Guzan putting the game to rest.
– Blues were all over the Villans when Oscar nearly doubled his tally in the 64th minute to see his shot cleared on the goal line from Cissokho.
Blues were looking rampant during this period, and Costa had a great chance to get his second from a Hazard cross but he was unable to get the final touch.
Mourinho meanwhile introduced Schurrle for final 20 minutes in place of Hazard.
– Mourinho realizing the lead was too good introduced Mikel in place of Oscar for the final 15 minutes to close out the game but Costa had other intentions when he cut inside brilliantly in the Villa box but his resulting shot was initially saved by Guzan,the rebound however fell for Willian to tap in which he did easily giving us a 3-0 lead.
– Remy got a run for the final 10 minutes in place of Costa and nearly got a goal in the 86th minute, but his header was saved by Guzan. It was all Chelsea though for the final few minutes as we closed out the game with another impressive performance and a clean sheet.
The win see us remain at the top of the League with 16 points from the first six games after an entertaining performance at the Bridge.
Trending on Game Has Just Begun