[table]Position:, “Defender: Left Back”
Date of Birth:, “December 12, 1980”
Place of Birth:, “London, England”
Height:, 5’9 1/2″(1.76m)
Weight:, 66 kg
At the Club since:, “August 31, 2006”
“Squad No.:”, 3
Ashley Cole has not been much of an integral part of the Chelsea team ever since he injured his knee while on national duty in March, with César Azpilicueta grabbing the opportunity to break into the first team with both hands. Despite Ryan Bertrand being sent out on loan and Branislav Ivanovic being suspended for the Champions League game against Atletico Madrid away from home, Ashley Cole can not be certain of a starting spot, but that does not discard his status as one of the Blues’ all time greats. The England International might be out of favor but is tipped for another contract extension alongside other compatriots and Chelsea stalwarts Frank Lampard and John Terry.
Ashley Cole: Representations and Tenures:
[table]Team, Appearances, Tenure
England U-21, 5, “2002”
England, 107, “2001-till date”
Arsenal, 156, “1998-2006”
Crystal Palace(loan),14, “1999-2000”
Chelsea, 226, “2006-till date”
Ashley Cole: Strengths:
- Very good at holding the ball and hence starting counter attacks.
- Passing to all areas of the field is a stronghold of the veteran English left back.
- Pacey, especially when surging forward to support an attack or when going back to defend once the ball is lost.
- His stamina is one of his biggest assets.
Ashley Cole: Weaknesses:
- Not as strongly built as many of his competitors, which makes him vulnerable in aerial duels.
- Crossing and tackling are perhaps the only areas where he may not match up to the best in the world, but his overall game is still at par with the very best in the world.
- Scoring in the penalty shootout against Bayern Munich in the 2012 Champions League Final, which was supported by his rock solid defensive display.
- With more than a 100 national caps, Ashley Cole has his own career high in that milestone.
- Perhaps the undeserved flak from Gunners fans for leaving the Blues’ rivals, otherwise his career is all a saga with its end still nowhere in site.
- Composed, controlled, pacey and attacking with the stamina of a horse.