Chelsea attempt to halt a poor run of form as they take on Stoke City in the fourth round of the F.A. Cup at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Chelsea vs Stoke City: The Blues come into today’s fixture on the back of two consecutive defeats – a 1-0 loss to Crystal Palace and a 3-1 defeat against PSG in the Champions League.
In stark contrast, Mark Hughes’ side come into the match in sparkling form with four wins in their last five, including three wins in a row
The Potters are looking to do the double over Chelsea having beaten them 3-2 at the Britannia Stadium earlier in the season.
Jose Mourinho will be desperate to win this to one at least temporarily, climb back to the top of the table.
Last Five Games (all competitions)
PSG 3-1 Chelsea (CL)
Palace 1-0 Chelsea (Prem)
Chelsea 6-0 Arsenal (Prem)
Chelsea 2-0 Galatasaray (CL)
Aston Villa 1-0 Chelsea (Prem)
Stoke 1-0 Hull (Prem)
Aston Villa 1-4 Stoke (Prem)
Stoke 3-1 West Ham (Prem)
Norwich 1-1 Stoke (Prem)
Stoke 1-0 Arsenal (Prem)
Head To Head
Total Games played: 91 Chelsea wins: 42 Stoke wins: 28 Draws: 21
Nemanja Matic will return to anchor the midfield and could be partnered by Frank Lampard , with Ramires finishing his three-match suspension for an ugly stamp in Chelsea’s defeat at Aston Villa. Eto’o, meanwhile, remains a major doubt with the hamstring injury picked up in the 6-0 rout of Arsenal.
For Stoke, Assaidi is likely to against miss out with a damaged knee, joining long-term absentee Robert Huth. Hughes could well stick with the same back line that kept out Hull City, with Erik Pieters having recovered fully from a knock.
* Chelsea have kept seven successive clean sheets at Stamford Bridge.
* Chelsea have won 21 and drawn four of our last 25 home Premier League games, since QPR won at Stamford Bridge on 2 January last year.
* Jose Mourinho is unbeaten at Stamford Bridge in all 92 domestic games in open play.
* Stoke have lost just one of their last nine matches – a 1-0 defeat at Man City – and have beaten both Man United and Arsenal in that time.
* The Potters have gained 15 points from losing positions, the best record in the top flight.
Date – 05-06-2014
Time – 5:30pm GMT
Venue – Stamford Bridge
Referee – Lee Probert
Author’s Verdict – Chelsea 2-0 Stoke